Thursday, January 5, 2012

Homeschooling Today

Homeschooling has been a huge blessing to us. It gives me so much quality time with the boys each day. We are learning what works for us as we go. I pretty much block out from 10 to noon to only spend time teaching. This has worked well so far.

This was our day today:
Today we started out playing marble run for a while. Then we spent time reading about Jesus' sermon on the mount and talking about how we don't need to worry. Then we prayed. I usually ask them to share one thing they are thankful for and one thing they want God to help them with. Eli was thankful today for games and wanted help with not being scared. Otto was thankful for insects and wanted help with mama. I asked him what he meant by this, but he couldn't really answer me. I am thankful for the super sunny day out and I asked God to help us to have wisdom as a family in all we do! I might start writing down their prayer requests and thanks because they are usually so cute! Then we did insect flash cards. The boys love this. Whoever guesses the most cards right gets two chocolate coins (which he then shares with his bro). Then I worked on reading with just Eli. He is doing SO good with this. Then we played a game called money bags. It teaches coin values and counting money. Fun! Then as a treat I skipped handwriting and we drew cityscapes. That's kind of like handwriting, straight lines, right? Now we are off to grocery shop! I tell you the stay at home life is non-stop! Hopefully grocery shopping will be a learning experience as well. :) Oh yes, what do I do with Oak when we homeschool??? Today he slept the whole time we did school. That was nice. If he wakes up early I am usually at the table with the boys at that point so I put him in the high chair with some cheerios. That keeps him busy. He also loves to just watch them do their work.

2 comments:

  1. How beautiful! What an amazing mom and woman you are, Michelle. So much patience, love, and understanding. You boys are all so wonderful and they are so lucky to have you and Brian!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so kind Emily! Thank you for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete