Saturday, May 16, 2009

My thoughts on play


As a mother of two very small children, one 9 months and the other almost 3 years, and a teacher for 4 years, I find that play is one of the most important parts of the day for children. In our home we have both structured and unstructured play times. Some of my favorite times are the unstructured play times where I can see what is going on in their little minds. As I observe and watch them I see what inspires them (usually tractors or trucks) and also what they are struggling with or trying to process (like when polar bear gets hurt from falling down... or goes pee pee in his pants... poor polar bear). I find these unstructured (yet sometimes observed by me) playtimes essential, especially when we are experiencing stressful times - like a new baby or learning to use the toilet. They are a great way for me to communicate with my 3 year old, Eli, on his level about what is happening and help him by understanding with him through play. 

It seems in our culture today "unstructured" play time is not looked upon very highly, mainly because it is not measurable, so many schools have taken recess out of their day. This, I believe, is a huge disadvantage to growing children, especially the very young children, who need time to "talk" or really "play" things out. 


No comments:

Post a Comment